Important Considerations When Choosing Your Defense Attorney
in Welcome to the Forum !
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 am
• 33 Posts
1. Publications - If attorneys publish articles, books, or treatises (legal reference guides), they are already subjected to the toughest critics of all (other attorneys) and they are often regarded as experts in that subject matter.
2. Acquittals - If attorneys win outright acquittals on very serious criminal charges, they prepare well, fight hard, play fair in the court's eyes and win juries over with their arguments. An outright acquittal is a not guilty verdict .
3. Leadership - Legal organizations are rather particular about the attorneys they choose to be their leaders. In legal organizations where the leader is voted into office, the members are acknowledging that the officer is highly regarded by the legal community.
4. Bar referrals - Often times, state bars provide an excellent reference source when a person is looking for an attorney. If the attorney has been disciplined, records of the past action are often available on the bar's website. However, as a referral source, they are limited to providing the name of the next-in-line firm or attorney and usually prohibited from making any recommendation beyond that information.
5. Criminal Law Commentators & Legal Analysts - Major television networks and local TV and radio stations often invite subject matter experts to comment on various public questions about the law. Attorneys commenting to the nation or state on behalf of a network TV station are regarded as experts in their industry.
The defense attorney you choose to represent you is critical to the outcome of your case. Don’t rush into choosing one just because you are anxious to get this chapter of your life settled.